Recent research suggests that the Canadian trucking industry will have 48,000 fewer long-haul truckers by 2024. This is good news to truck drivers as it could offer a great opportunity for people who want to come to Canada and work in this type of job.
There is no doubt that Canada’s transportation sector faces high demand and a shortage in long-haul truck driver jobs. These developments are supported by the Canadian government, which provides work permits to qualified foreign workers who wish to become truck drivers in Canada.
Requirements for Truck Driver Jobs in Canada (With Visa Sponsorship).
Let’s look at what it takes to be a truck driver in Canada. This will help you understand the requirements for a truck driver job in Canada as an immigration sponsor.
- Truck drivers in Canada work full-time, on weekends, night shifts, overtime, day shifts, and even nights.
- This job does not require a high school diploma.
- Experience driving with a heavy load can be an advantage, but it is unnecessary.
- It is important to be able to communicate in basic or functional English.
- This position requires memberships, certificates, and licenses, as well as courses, certificates, and certificates.
- Along with your Air Brake (Z), Endorsement, a valid driver’s license (Class 1, A, or Class 1) is required.
- Types of Equipment and Trucking: Tractor-trailer: Tractor, Flatbed, Highway, Refrigerated truck (4.600kgplus) or 10,000 lbs using three or more axles
- Security and Safety: You must have a basic security clearance, a criminal background check, and a copy of your driving record. Also, you must pass a medical exam and take drug tests.
- Information about transportation and travel. Are you available to travel throughout Canada and the United States? You are willing to travel long distances and for extended periods, whether it is day or night.
- Other requirements: Candidates must have the legal ability to work in Canada. They also need to be willing to work together to operate long-haul trucks.
- To facilitate the transportation of products and supplies, the ability to operate straight and articulated trucks.
- Cargo safety and security can be achieved by unloading and loading cargo and tarping it.
- You can plan your travel routes and times.
- Atlases and other tools should be available to assist you with planning your trip.
- Receive information and send it back to the central dispatcher.
- You can operate in convoys or two-person teams.
- Also, you must be able to assess the vehicle’s condition and inspect the lights, tires, cold storage, and other parts.
Top Programs in Canada to getting Truck Driver Jobs
Here is a list of popular programs to help you find work as a truck driver with a sponsored visa in Canada.
Truck drivers in Canada can also benefit from the provincial Program offered by British Columbia.
For applicants to the entry-level and semiskilled levels of the regional job market, a full-time position in long-haul trucks is required. There are over 400 available jobs. Long-haul truck drivers are allowed to live in the province for long periods. Learn more about immigration in British Columbia by visiting their website at https://www.immigration.ca/british-columbia-immigration/.
Quebec is the leader in truck driver-friendly jobs, with 837 available job ads. According to information on the Quebec government’s website for employment, there are excellent prospects for truck driver employment.
Access the Quebec website at https://www.immigration.ca/en/quebecimmigrationprovincial.html.
In July 2019, the Ontario Immigrant Job Offer for Employers In-Demand Skills Stream added the NOC code 7511 for drivers of transport trucks. It was also added to the list of three other professions.
Experienced truck drivers who have been offered employment in Ontario may follow a particular route to permanent residence in Canada. Learn more about immigration at https://www.immigration.ca/en/ontario-immigration.html.
Long-haul truckers, another in-demand occupation that the Alberta Immigrant Program offers, have more than 500 jobs on the bank. Truck drivers can access the Alberta Opportunity Stream or Alberta Express Entry.
Employers looking to hire truck drivers in Manitoba must comply with the Federal Labour Market Assessment for Temporary Foreign Workers procedure. Employers can only hire workers outside the LMIA process through the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program, provided they meet specific requirements, such as recruitment and labor laws compliance.
Visit the Manitoba immigration website at https://www.immigration.ca/en/manitoba-immigration.html to discover more.
Newfoundland and Labrador
It is a province in Canada. It is a province in Canada, Newfoundland, and Labrador.
Newfoundland and Labrador’s Labour Market Outlook 2025 report highlights truck driving as an occupation requiring substantial migration to meet job demand. Applicants must apply to the NLPNP’s Express, Entry, or Skilled worker tracks to be eligible employers.
Saskatchewan Immigration offers a sub-category for long-haul truck drivers who are already allowed to work in Canada. This job is also eligible for Express Entry in-Demand and Occupation categories. Each category focuses on specific professions.
Two jobs targeted by the Nova Scotia Nominee Programme’s Occupations On-Demand stream are Transportation Truck Drivers (NOC 7511). This allows drivers to apply for permanent residency.
This Program could help you get a job as a truck driver in Canada by sponsoring your visa.
Canada Truck Drivers’ Wages
Truck drivers are currently paid an hourly wage comparable to the national and provincial averages.
According to Statistics Canada and the Job Bank, the median truck driver’s pay is slightly lower than the national average. It could be $8 higher than the average pay, which is $32 an hour in certain circumstances.
Truck drivers’ wages are expected to rise as labor demand increases over the next few years.
You’ve come to the right place if you are interested in a job as a truck driver for Visa sponsorship Canada for non-natives. These are the possibilities and the various programs that offer them.